Saturday, August 30, 2014

My Ice Bucket Challenge for SMA Awareness

I am sorry this took a week to get together and post. As dumb as it sounds, I needed my husband to be home to dump ice water on my head. He works crazy hours, and I really wanted to do this at a time other than midnight or 4 am. It's not like our neighbors don't have enough reasons to think we are odd.

So the Ice Bucket Challenge; you would have to be living under a rock to not have seen this going around. Even then, your rock would have to be a complete dead zone, because we all know people who live under rocks still have their smart phones on them. It's the times, folks. Anyway, my lovely cousin Felicia nominated me for this challenge. The gist is, you have 24 hours to dump a bucket of ice water on your head, or you donate $100 to the ALS Association. I broke basically all the rules other than the actual ice water dumping, but I digress. This "silly little internet fad" has raised SO MUCH money for ALS research! Since SMA is very similar to ALS, a lot of folks have been doing their bucket dump to do the same for awareness of SMA. I have also seen a "Pie in the Face Challenge" going around for SMA, which is pretty awesome too. 

So what exactly is SMA? It stands for Spinal Muscular Atrophy. SMA effects the motor nerve cells in the spinal cord taking away the ability to walk, eat, or breath. It is caused by a mutation in the survival motor neutron gene 1. This mutation causes debilitating muscle weakness that is often fatal. It is the number 1 genetic cause for death in infants. 

Some Facts:

-SMA doesn't discriminate. It can effect any race or gender.
-SMA affects approximately 1 in 10,000 babies.
-About 1 in 50 Americans are genetic carriers.
-SMA interferes with basic abilities such as breathing and swallowing, however it does not effect a person's ability to think, learn, love, and build relationships with others.

SMA and ALS are very similar, the biggest difference being that SMA is genetic and affects babies. This chart was very helpful to me in learning about the two:


August is SMA awareness month. One of my oldest son's very best friends has SMA. A year ago we didn't know this disease existed. Since then we have learned more through our friend and her family. She is an amazing kid full of wit and joy and beauty. She brightens my son's day, as well as anyone else she comes into contact with! Her mom has become a good friend of mine and one of my favorite people to run with at dark o thirty! There may not be approved treatments for SMA, but through my research I have learned they are on the verge of major breakthroughs that can strengthen and extend life in people affected. I have hope that if we continue awareness and raise money, and PRAY, we can find a cure.

So here is my ice bucket challenge, complete with the husband making silly faces behind my back. My donation is going to The Gwendolyn Strong Foundation. Click around on their website to learn more about SMA and how you can help.




-Teacup Runner

"Heal me, Lord, and I will be healed; save me and I will be saved, for you are the one I praise."-Jeremiah‬ ‭17‬:‭14‬ NIV

No comments:

Post a Comment