Monday, November 10, 2014

HSV Half Race Recap

Half #4 complete! What an awesome race! My finish according to garmin was 13.27 miles in 02:20:08, 10:34 min/mi. Unfortunately chip timing did not work, so that's all I have, but no bad at all! It was not much faster than BSTC Half, but I felt so much better during and after.



J, J's husband's shadow, and I before the race

The race started out sunny and cold. I did decide on shorts, compression socks, gloves, and a long sleeved tech shirt. It turned out to be a pretty good decision, because I was baking about 5 miles in, but not terribly bad. Pants would have been uncomfortable. My friend J and I met up before the race as usual. She had decided to "run naked" this race, sans gadgets as she had been having issues with her garmin. Like I posted before, no music was allowed, so we were without earbuds on top of it, which meant hearing all the funny conversations along the way, but more on that later.



Race start!

The race started out with me just forcing myself not to run ahead of the crowd just to get away from it. It was HARD. People were passing me despite my 9:30 something pace, and this stressed me out. Where did all of these fast people come from? I had determined at that point I would be last, but at least I wouldn't be puking at the end (for the record, I was not even close to last. I stayed middle of the pack the entire race). I also learned that not going out too fast would get me away from the starting crowd just as fast as going out too fast. I just like to have my own little space during races. That's when I find my groove.

 photo a me party all by myself_zpsetlig0qw.gif
Yeah. Pretty much.

The first mile, my mind was racing. It went a little like this:

.3 miles : Why did I pick winterfresh gum? Always go with cinnamon in the cold! Always! Pretty sure my lungs are actually frozen.

.4 miles : Glad I wore shorts. I don't feel any cold on my legs. What is wrong with me that I cannot feel cold in my legs? Maybe I am bionic. No, I'd definitely be faster if I were bionic.

.45 miles : Ugh my toes. I can't feel them. Pretty sure my toes are ACTUALLY FROZEN.

.6 miles : Dude, way too short man shorts at 12 o'clock. Oh God, oh God, man thighs. Too much man thighs. So white, so hairy... Ack, look away before more man parts show. Never mind, it's too cold for that. Still disturbing. How is that even comfortable?

.7 miles : Pretty sure my nose is actually frozen.

.98 miles : Oh, look, there are my toes. One less thing to worry about.

2 miles in : I am burning up. Why did I wear a shirt? I could take my shirt off, but then I would have to repin my bib to my shorts, which would surely lead to injury. Oh no, camera. Smile like running 13.1 miles is your idea of relaxing on a cold Saturday morning!

The first 4 miles were like that. I laughed with a lady when a car backed out and blew exhaust in our faces. I listened to a veteran, a Marine, and an older lady talk about their running "careers" to pass the time. He was 57 and had just run the USMC Marathon, and was running one in Vegas next week, as well as RCM in December. She was 68, and did not start running until she was 35, but ran marathons like you and I take bubble baths. She had amazing neon yellow leopard print compression socks, and I decided I would need to get a pair of immediately. I thought if I could keep up with these two, I would consider myself a rock star. Runners really are like a fine wine, we get better with age.

At almost 5 miles I took a few honey stinger chews and grabbed water at the water station. I walked that station just to make sure I got all the water down. I was risking it not being enough to chase fuel with, so I wanted to get as much down as I could. At that point I felt good all except my left hip flexor was doing its usual complaining. I pushed past it and kept running. I found a lady who earlier in the race had Mandesa's "Overcomer" playing, and listened to a Jars of Clay song for a bit before pulling ahead again. Little things to distract from the hip flexor pain.

Once we hit the Greenway I got another burst of energy. It was SO pretty! The leaves were all fall-like, and the mountains in the background made it so picture perfect for running. At one point, however, I was feeling too hot and stuffy and it got a little congested. Some lady passed me and then blocked me from getting away from her. The unfortunate part of this is she had rap music blaring from her phone. It took every bit of restraint I had to not rip her armband away and toss it in the water we were running next to. Note: rap music during a race to me is like sticking my head in between giant clock gears. This is when I had regrets about not breaking the no ear bud rule.

 photo new-girl-gif1_zps8qyqnl3f.gif

Eventually I got away from rap music girl and was able to spread out from that crowd a little by passing her at the turn around. I took fuel and walked through another water station at mile 9. My hip flexor was beginning to bother me down to my knee, and randomly my ankle was aching, so the walk to drink that cup of water was a relief. Knowing I would lose my momentum, I started running again as soon as I finished, and just focused on the views.


This was the greenway part. So peaceful when void of rap music.


When we came out of the greenway, a spectator told me to run fast and take the guys in front of me. They had been with me much of the race. Their conversations had been cracking me up some. The one guy was running with I kid you not, giant headphones around his neck. I did end up passing them at one point, and overheard them talking about the "tiny gal beating them" or something to that effect. Then listened to them guessing my weight (something about being small and light and faster. Um, so not the case guys, and you are both way off). That's when not having earbuds got entertaining. They caught up to me at about 10.5 miles and caught me wiping my nose on my gloves. The one guy says, " That's why I should have worn gloves, to wipe my nose!" I told him I recommended gloves that were not fuzzy, as it left fuzz under your nose, to which he replied he noticed they were glittery. Ah, race talk.

My entire left leg felt like it was going to fall off at this point. Car exhaust girl came up beside me, and we started pushing each other, trying to talk about races (both of us were trying to redeem ourselves after BSTC), our crazy friends that ran marathons, and also about how much pain we were in. We lost each other right before the 13 mile mark, but she came up and passed me right at the end, us cheering each other. Right after the race we high fived  and found our finisher tshirts, then said goodbyes. That's about how runners are. You find a temporary best friend right when you need one, even if you may not ever see them again. You can talk about gross things, you can spit and shoot snot rockets. I mean really, what other time in life can you meet someone while spitting and it be acceptable?

 photo weird_zpsnp67dpfl.gif

I think I limped back to where I was meeting Ryan to pick me up. My left leg was cussing at me in left leg language. I went straight to a hot epsom salt bath, which fixed things right away. I was nauseated from inhaling a slice of pizza pre-race, but continued to graze all day despite that fact. Runchies are weird. I'm not sure when I am going to figure out that pizza right after running is not a good idea.




I am a little sore, but nothing terrible. I really enjoyed this race. The course was awesome, the volunteers and spectators great. I think out of all the half marathons I have run, this one wins for prettiest course. Probably because the time of year. I want to do it again next year for sure! I think for anyone wanting to do their first half, this is a great course for that as well. It was mostly flat, and plenty to look at to distract you from the miles. I barely looked at my watch, and my friend J ran without one, if that will tell you anything! I feel like I redeemed myself from BSTC Half, and am looking forward to training for Scottsboro. 



-Teacup Runner

"Lord, our Lord, how majestic is your name in all the earth!"-Psalm 8:9 NIV

No comments:

Post a Comment