Thursday, November 20, 2014

Project Cross Train!

First of all, I need to say that it has been 2 MONTHS since my last migraine with aura attack! I haven't gone this long in between attacks since they started last year. Yay to finally getting some results (accidentally). I have been feeling so much better lately, so I am ready to amp up my training again, and get back to where I was last spring.

 photo anigif_enhanced-buzz-25229-1365006558-21_zpsseuz00mr.gif
How I feel without migraines. Oh yes, I have done this dance.

I have cut back on my running since HSV half. I have decided I will not sign up for another race until I have made cross training a habit again. Lately I have noticed more back pain, which is a direct result from letting my core strength go. Not to mention I am running slower. This is also a result of not cross training. It is not all about abs and getting ripped again. My stomach is flat, my weight is the same, but I am weak right now, and I don't like that. I remembered last year when I was at my peak performance running wise, and I was lifting weights several times a week. So, my new plan is run 3x a week and cross train 3x a week. My goal was to alternate days, but so far I've done a short 3-4 miler plus 20-30 min weights or other cross training on the same day, and have taken more rest days. This isn't really my ideal, but I have been sleeping bad, and the holidays are already jumbling my schedule. I have a tendency to workout cram when I am forced into rest days. Next week I am going to devise a more organized plan. In general, I pretty much hate cross training, but as a runner I find it to be a necessary evil. No one can deny you get better running results with a little cross training thrown in.

My plan is to start writing out my workout schedule again. This is another thing I did last year to help. I was training for the two back to back half marathons, and needed to make sure I got in a lot of workouts at optimal timing. Basically my week would consist of 1 long run, 1 speed run, 2 easy runs,  1 full body cross train, 1 active rest day, and one full rest day. The active rest day would be yoga or something light. I would then squeeze weights in after the easy runs, sometimes an hour or more, and maybe after speed work. I always took my full rest day after speed work day. I will have to work my way back to that. For now I want to have 3 running days total (1 long, 1 speed, 1 easy), and 3 cross training days of my choice. To start, of course these will be lighter weights, lighter workouts, but eventually I will get back to the heavier weights and longer cross training sessions. The last day will be a total rest day, as I now do at least some yoga with every cross training day.  I think giving running and cross training their own days to start out will be a nice transition instead of doubling up right away. I realize this is only 1 rest day, but I am an oddball. I feel like crap on the days I don't work out. I have played around with different combinations of rest days, and working out 6 days a week just works for me. It also was something that kept my migraines more spaced out before I started treating them. Plus, on the days I work out, I eat better and hydrate better. I am guessing that has a lot to do with me feeling so good those days.

I hate rest days not because I am a super tough chick, but because I like to put off house work.

Since my chest wall injury last May, I have lost a lot of upper body strength. I don't want to jump right back into weights as far as that area is concerned, so I am trying out other new strengthening exercises. So far I am loving barre! I am using light weights for my lower body, but to get a good all over body workout, barre is perfect for me. It combines strength and stretch, which is so important for a runner. I got the idea to try after seeing one of my favorite bloggers, The T-Rex Runner, posting about it. After the hip flexor trouble I have had my last 2 races, I think this is going to be a go to CT exercise for me. My chest wall has been a little sore, but nothing like the agony weight training had been causing. I think for a while, this is what I need for my upper body. It has always been my weak area, but since that one little injury, I have constantly managed to hurt myself. Since then I have been trying to figure out the right exercises to start back with. Barre is the winner for sure! I feel the appropriate amount of soreness after, not the "Oh God my chest is broken forever and I am possibly having a heart attack" pain that I kept rebounding into before.

 photo tumblr_mf5x5skvBv1r5yiuao1_500_zpsrcvvgzgp.gif
Weirdly accurate.

Another thing my GP recommended for my upper back/chest wall issues is a deep tissue massage. I am still trying to talk myself into this. For one, deep tissue massages hurt, and I am a wuss. For two, I don't like people touching me, so a stranger touching me really painfully is probably not going to be a  comfortable experience for me, but if it resets me and helps with my muscle tightness, it will be worth it. I have also debated a chiropractor, but again, not yet brave enough. I need to do something though, so I figure fixing my core is a start that doesn't involve other people touching me.

 photo Alison-DiLaurentis-Dont-Touch-Me-On-Pretty-Little-Liars_zpskpodfxfn.gif

So my question for the probably 4 people who read this blog: Have you gotten a deep tissue massage or gone to a chiropractor to help with a work out injury? Did it help?

I will report back next week on my new schedule!

-Teacup Runner

"I love you, Lord, my strength." -Psalm 18:1 NIV

No comments:

Post a Comment