Thursday, November 6, 2014

Thoughts Two Nights Before the Race, HSV Half Edition

2 more days until half #4! For whatever reason, I have continued to get ridiculously excited about this race despite probably being entirely too ill prepared. I have run a whopping 7 miles this week. My plan was to get another short run in, but as life would have it things have been too busy this week. For starters, in my journey back into music ministry, I have agreed to sing tonight at church for a ladies fellowship group. I feel completely unprepared and insanely nervous. I even tried to get out of it initially, but I do feel like God wants me doing this regardless of the fact that the song on my heart comes out a little squeaky. It is odd for me. I am not a follower by any means, but not really a leader either. I just sort of do what I want and hope it comes off appropriate and not offending anyone. "Winging it" should be my middle name. It's ok. I got this. Most likely.

 photo 5787630_zpskfosgytm.gif

I feel confident that regardless of how I sound tonight, God will reach people, and the fellowship will be amazing. I can't thank Him enough for leading us to this church. 

The other big thing on my mind is what to wear on Saturday. Early in the morning I am cold lately, but I keep over dressing for my runs. I feel pretty confident that my bottom half should be comprised of compression shorts and socks, but no clue if I should do sleeves or not. It will probably be in the upper 30s, so I will need gloves, but I don't want to burn up and have nowhere to ditch clothes. I like to have as little on me as possible during these long runs. It appears I bought two pairs of bright cropped running tights to choose from for nothing, because I am too hot natured when I run. Honestly, the worst part is waiting on the race to start. Freezing and then not even a mile in, burning up. Then each outfit option comes with more decisions about where to store fuel, phone, etc. Then there is the fact that I just really wanted to wear the bright neon purple tie dye looking tights. Too much thought wasted on this.

 photo running-cold-5_zpspyrxbwke.gif

I am not sure what it says about me that I am putting more thought into gear than a pacing strategy. Speaking of pacing, I had planned to test out a little Jeff Galloway run/walk intervals in my garmin this week, but forgot. I thought about trying that for the half. I know it is unwise to try out anything new at a race, so naturally I probably will. If anything, maybe it will keep me from going out too fast, and I can abandon it second half if it isn't doing it for me. I don't know. We can't have music this race (lame), so I need a distraction of some sort in case I struggle.

Don't judge me, Wonka. I do it because I am claustrophobic!

It's really a shame I have yet to master reading while running. Running is the only time in life I don't have a book of some sort on me. Can you imagine? Wonder if I could get away with an audio book. When I emailed the race director about ear buds, I got a short snappy "Rules say no music" response back. No music, eh? So earbuds are cool as long as no music? I really should invest in some of those wireless buds. Under a toboggan I'd be gold. Ok, enough fantasizing about rules I will never break. Spectators, I rely on you for my race entertainment! Witty signs and cowbells, people!

-Teacup Runner

"Am I now trying to win the approval of human beings, or of God? Or am I trying to please people? If I were still trying to please people, I would not be a servant of Christ."-Galatians 1:10 NIV


No comments:

Post a Comment